Tool Lending Program
The heart of the ToolBank is the tool lending program. Charitable organizations have year-round access to the ToolBank’s inventory of tools and equipment for a nominal fee. ToolBank tools are only available to organizations, such as:
- Nonprofit/Charitable/Tax exempt organizations
- Schools and PTAs/PTOs
- Neighborhood associations
- Faith-based groups
- Civic organizations
- Government agencies
Borrowing ToolBank tools is inexpensive, convenient and fully functional – maximizing our member agencies ability to improve community engagement and to achieve greater impact for those they serve.
How It Works
- Become a ToolBank Member Agency: First time borrowers must complete our brief online membership application before they can borrow tools. There is no membership fee. This process captures documentation of their charitable status and creates a user account for the agency contact in our online tool ordering system.
- Submit a Tool Order: Agency logs in to their ToolBank account and submits a tool order online.
- Pick Up Tools: Agency picks up their tool order at the ToolBank at their scheduled pickup time. ToolBank staff and volunteers have already prepared the order in advance.
- Return Tools: After the completion of the project, the agency returns borrowed tools at the scheduled return time, clean & dry. ToolBank staff and volunteers check tools back into inventory.
Agencies pay a tool handling fee to borrow ToolBank tools and equipment.
Tool Handling Fee = 5% of the retail value of each tool borrowed x # of weeks borrowed
To learn more about our fees and other policies specific to our tool lending program, check out our Tools & Fees page.